Thursday, October 27, 2011

Alice and Celia, Catholic and Methodist, to be or not to be....


The damnation of Theron Ware was really interesting to read, it was nice to break away from the race culture we have been looking at; and look into the role of religion in identity.
It was strange to see so many different religious views presented within the one story or narrative. Different characters all represent different forms of belief; we have a catholic, a protestant and an atheist. It helps to have all these different views. Also the different way in which they approach their beliefs, despite being an atheist I defiantly preferred the catholic approach over the fire and brimstone of the Methodists.  Although I will admit that when we spoke about religious thing in class on Tuesday I got a little confused, unless it is the fall of Lucifer, the nativity or the Easter story then I don’t know about it. So I could be entirely wrong in my perception of the Methodists or protestant faith, as most of what I learnt about religion, I learnt from Supernatural.
One other aspect that I liked was the contrast between Alice and Celia; they are almost entirely different from each other. Celia is more street smart, she’s formed her own opinions from her own experiences whereas Alice repeats the views and opinions that others have taught her.  Celia represents a more modern minded woman; she doesn’t need to rely on anyone because she can support herself. Also she seems to be more at ease with the people around her. Alice, on the other hand, uses Theron as a kind of crutch or safety net; she isn’t really capable of being alone and she is a far more traditional character. Celia represents the new woman making her own way, and Alice is the traditional housewife, it’s a nice contrast to have.
Like I said the religion stuff did confuse me a little and I had to look up some of the references. However I did enjoy the book and the fact that it didn't try to preach or put a certain religion forward as better.

2 comments:

  1. Love the last picture! I have to side with you on which of the three I would choose if I had to choose one. Unless they have marshmallows, why would you want the fire and brimstone (just kidding)? I also find the different viewpoints to be refreshing and give a more well rounded explanation and narrative of what is happening and what people believe during that time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The book does provide an idea-filled exploration of all those ideas, Emma, not only the religious ones but also the two types of women.

    ReplyDelete