Thursday, November 17, 2011

We do not have a cliche problem at this school...but you do have to watch out for frenemies


I think I would have liked House of Mirth a bit better if we had not just spent the last few weeks covering naturalist novels, I may be alone in this view but I was kind of hoping for a happy story. I’m not talking about books were the walk off into the sunshine or all live happily ever after. Just, you know something mildly happier. I think we are all at the point in the semester were something happy would have been a nice little boast in class morale to tide us over until Thanksgiving break (I’m used to started term in September, having the last week in October off, and then finishing classes at the end of November. So this has been a very long semester for me.).
That’s not to say that I don’t enjoy House of Mirth, some of it seems mildly odd but it is well written and not as tedious to read as McTeague. However, as far as Lily goes I’m not sure on how to take her. I realise that back then women weren’t allowed the same freedom as we are today and that Lily is trying to work within the constraints of her society. She annoys me as a character simply because at points in the novel I find her to be very conniving. I mean she’s great at rocking what she’s got but it feels as though she schemes a little too much for her to be an incredible likable character.  I can’t really feel sympathetic; I’m more inclined to applaud Bertha for outwitting Lily at her own game.
I think as always I will wait to see how the book plays out (although I got mildly spoiled when I looked online so I have a feeling I will not enjoy the ending) and offer my full comments next blog.


3 comments:

  1. I too don't know what to make of Lily, I can't fully decide if I feel sorry for her, or hate her. And I agree that I was hoping, just from the title, for something a little more happy that what Wharton presented. For some reason I was expecting a Jane Austen type of novel, just from the title and the cover... but I was mistaken and wish it would have been happier. I too know the end of the book and how Lily meets an unfortunate end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like a g bad ending to put a smile on your face :) But yeah a better ending would have been nice as a change of pace, but alas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope that the ending lived up to your expectations, Emma.

    ReplyDelete